Saturday, December 31, 2011

Veggie Fajitas

It's New Year's Eve.  Sameer and I are making veggie fajitas for dinner tonight with a side of black beans.  Here is my best guess at how I make these, since in lieu of a recipe I've always just throw stuff together until it resembles the veggie fajitas from On The Border.  This one is actually vegan too.

Ingredients (for 2 people):
4-6 flour tortillas
1-2 zucchini, thickly sliced
1 yellow squash, thickly sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 cup portobello mushrooms, sliced
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tbl vegetable oil
cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and salt to taste

Directions:
Heat up the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add onions and mushrooms and cook until onions are slightly translucent and mushrooms are tender.  Add remaining vegetables and cook until tender but not limp.  Add cumin, chili powder, a dash or two of cayenne pepper, and salt to taste.  I probably use about 1/4 tsp of cumin and another 1/4 tsp of chili powder.  Add juice of 1/2 lime and remove from heat.  Serve with warm tortillas and fresh guacamole (recipe to follow).

For the black beans, I've always just emptied a can of beans -- undrained -- into a small sauce pan and heated it up with some seasoning.  The "taco seasoning" you buy in packets at the grocery store work, regardless of what brand.  Using cumin, chili powder, salt & cayenne pepper also works.  I bought some dried beans this week for the first time in my life, so we'll see how that works out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment