Thursday, January 24, 2013

Baby's Lentil & Squash

I have finally made something Simran ate without my having to hide it in something else or trick her.  Since Sameer and I are vegetarian, we don't feed Simran meat, so I try to feed her lots of vegetable protein sources, mostly in the form of different sorts of peas and lentils.  She grew relatively accustomed to my hiding pureed lentils in her vegetables, but I overcooked them last time and they were bitter and too dry and lumpy.  This displeased her.  Today I made a fresh batch of red lentils with lots of water (she likes her food essentially liquid) and a box of frozen organic winter squash puree.  It turned out great.  I personally would drink it from an over-sized mug if ill or unable to take time to eat a real lunch.  Simran ate several bites without ever making her "this is disgusting" face.

Ingredients
1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed and checked for stones
2 cups water
10 oz. squash puree (or other vegetable puree of your choice -- whipped sweet potatoes would work well)

Directions

1. Combine lentils and water and bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are mushy (about 20 minutes).

2. Blend the lentils and remaining water (ideally with an immersion blender -- easier to use and clean).  It will be a very thin consistency, but it will thicken as it cools.  Stir in warm squash puree.


No comments:

Post a Comment