Monday, January 7, 2013

Confetti Twice-Baked Potatoes

This recipe comes from Caldwell Esselstyn's book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.  It's crazy healthy, like everything else in there.  I plan to take the stick blender to a few spoonfuls and feed it to Simran tonight.  I'm also pleased to see I can make this hours ahead of time, shove it in the fridge, and just heat it up in the oven half an hour before dinner.

Ingredients
12 medium Yukon gold potatoes
2 cups or more oat or nonfat soy milk (I have never seen nonfat soy milk in a store in my life, despite months of searching, and I don't know what "oat milk" is, so I'll be using low-fat soy milk and some leftover almond milk I need to use up)
1 16-oz bag frozen corn
2 cups green onions, chopped
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and chopped (2 cups) (I plan to use one red and one green.  To make it more confetti-like.)
1 tsp granulated garlic or chopped fresh garlic
pepper, to taste

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Scrub potatoes, pierce with a knife, and bake for 1 hour.

3. Remove potatoes from the oven, carefully cut in half, scoop out insides into a large mixing bowl, and arrange skins in a baking dish.

4. Whip hot potatoes, adding milk slowly until quite soft.

5. Add corn, green onions, bell peppers, garlic, and fresh ground black pepper. Mix well.

6. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.

Note: You can include pretty much any vegetation you want in the insides.  Whipped butternut squash, grated carrots, chopped broccoli, peas, lima beans, parsley, cilantro, etc.  I'll be including some frozen peas tonight to up the protein level.  I regret not buying fresh cilantro when I was at the Whole Foods two hours ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment