Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tortilla Pie

This recipe comes from Caldwell Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.

Ingredients
5-6 medium no-oil corn tortillas
2-3 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed (I plan to just make a big pot of slow-cooker black beans)
2 16-oz. jars salsa (mild or hotter, according to taste)
1 16-oz. package frozen corn
1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup), and stir-fried until limp
1 large red or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
1 large tomato, chopped (1 cup)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Line bottom of a large baking dish with half of tortillas. You will need to cut or tear some in order to fit the pan.

3. Spread beans over tortillas, then add half the salsa, the corn, the stir-fried onions, peppers, tomato, and another layer of tortillas.  Top with the rest of the salsa. Use extra salsa if necessary.

4. Bake for 60 minutes, uncovered.

[Edited 3/6/13: I intentionally bought a fancy garlicky salsa I like for this since I knew it was the primary flavorant, and I only used one jar.  This was pretty good as is, but when I ate it with fresh avocado on top, it was fantastic.]

No comments:

Post a Comment