Sunday, August 9, 2015

Tropical Kale Smoothie

I've been making this for breakfast pretty much everyday for awhile now.  I put any leftovers in the fridge until lunch.  It's better tasting than the spinach smoothie that tastes like banana bread, and it has more calcium on account of the kale.  The original recipe is from thedailymeal.com.  I've made a few changes in mine, mostly to increase calcium because my intake was a little low. 

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
  • 1/2 cup coconut water
  • 2 tsp hemp seeds
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats (optional, but it helps me feel full a little longer)
  • 1 - 2 cups frozen kale (I use curly green kale -- I de-spine and wash it when I first buy it and toss it in a bag in the freezer to use whenever -- the freezing process also kills a lot of the flavor, so it's kind of gross if you don't freeze the kale)
  • ½ cup pineapple (I use canned chunks in their own juice)
  • ½ cup frozen mango 
  • 1 frozen banana   
Directions

1. Add ingredients to blender in order listed above (they blend up easier if the liquids are closest to the blade).  Blend until smooth, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment