Sunday, December 15, 2019

Meal Planning

Last week of school before winter break.  Here is what I have that needs to be used up:  a whole container of idli after I've finished off the sambar (I should probably cut the idli recipe in half next time), half a pint of grape tomatoes, a couple pounds of russet potatoes (still can't remember why Sameer asked me to buy them), celery, about half a cup of queso dip we made last night, half a can of black beans, an open jar of marinara and an open jar of pizza sauce in the fridge, fresh asparagus, fresh shaved brussels sprouts, a few tiny slices of pumpernickel bread, about half a container of vegan (plain, unsweetened) almond yogurt, and a couple open jars each of capers and kalamata olives (the fridge it too full when such things can effectively hide in the back until I open another jar).  Here is what I'm planning to make:

Tonight we'll have random leftovers.  We should be able to finish off the queso dip and black beans.  There are also several Morningstar buffalo wings wrapped in foil in the fridge we can eat tonight.  I'll probably steam the asparagus this afternoon to eat chilled for the next couple days.  We still have lemon-caper mayo in the fridge, but I should be able to finish it off this week with the new bunch of asparagus.

Sambar
I'm going to make another pot of sambar to eat for lunches with the leftover idli and vegan yogurt.  It'll use up another container of frozen diced bell pepper, a couple potatoes, the remainder of the onion in the fridge, and a stalk of the celery.  I don't think I'll need to buy anything to make this.  Maybe I'll do it today after using the big pot to steam the asparagus so I only have to wash it all once.  I can also dump my all the cilantro currently in my vegetable crisper into the finished soup.


Saag Paneer and Dal Makhani and Basmati Rice and Garlic Naan
I bought paneer at Patel Bros. last week, and I have prepared garlic naan in the freezer and basmati rice in the pantry.  I'll have to see what I need to buy for the dal makhani, but I should have most things on hand.

Hearty Veggie Hoagies
I'm hoping this will use up some of the kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, and vegan pesto in the fridge.  It's also easy to serve with soup or random sides.  I just need to buy a baguette, zucchini, tomato, and red bell pepper.  That'll be most of my grocery list for the week.

Tofu Pot Pie
I keep putting this off because it involves making and rolling out the pie dough, but it'll use up a couple different ingredients.

We're going out for Middle Eastern food on Friday night.

Spaghetti & Meatless Balls and Veggie Sides
This should use up the open jars of marinara and pizza sauce in the fridge, as well as the small amount of tomato sauce that will be leftover from the dal makhani.  It should be an easy Saturday night dinner after our afternoon at the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment