Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sweet Potato - Lime Salad

I found this recipe in Caldwell Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.  I don't have high hopes for it because it sounds kind of weird (maybe I'll taste it before adding any vinegar), but I'm always looking for more ways to get Simran (and Sameer and me) to eat colorful vegetables. 

Ingredients
3 large sweet potatoes and/or yams, cut into bite-sized pieces (4 cups)
1 bunch green onions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
4 ribs celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
juice and zest of 1-2 limes (about 2 tbs of juice, or two taste)
1/2 cup chopped parsley or cilantro

Directions

1. Steam sweet potatoes 10-12 minutes, until tender but still firm, or bake at 400 degrees until just tender. Peel and cube. Place in a bowl.

2. Add green onions, red pepper, onions, celery, vinegar, lime juice and zest, and parsley/cilantro. Mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment