Sunday, May 26, 2013

Meal Planning

Time for weekly meal planning.  We had so many leftovers this past week that last night we just ate dinner from our grand selection of leftovers, something I don't remember doing in months.  I even put away seven servings worth of leftovers in the freezer over the course of the week.  Those will come in handy when Simran needs lunch and hated the previous night's dinner, or the previous night's dinner didn't provide leftovers.  So this week I might make some meals that don't create a lot of leftovers, since now I'm free to do that.  Here is what I have in my fridge that needs to be used up:  3 bunches of kale and rainbow chard, seven mini pita pockets (yes still -- we haven't had either of the pita-based meals I planned last week, but they haven't gone bad yet), 4 Roma tomatoes, about a cup and a half of diced red potatoes, about two cups of diced sweet potatoes, a couple cups of sliced bell peppers in various colors, a couple cups of arugula that won't stay fresh much longer, and one bunch of fresh basil.  Here is what I plan to make:

Curried Tofu Salad in pita pockets and Dill Potato Salad and Rainbow Chard with Walnut Sauce
I plan to make this meal tonight since I made the tofu salad some 36 hours ago already.  I plan to use up the red potatoes making potato salad (I'll probably need to buy more too).  The pitas should also use up some of the arugula and tomato.

Pita Pizzas and Kale with Walnut Sauce
I will use up the remaining pitas on this meal.  It will also use up more arugula, tomatoes, and the feta currently in the fridge.

Thai Green Curry
Yes, again.  I have basil and already chopped bell peppers and sweet potatoes, and I have limited ideas for what to do with them.  I spent an hour meal planning last week, and that's just absurd and I'm not going to do that again.  Besides, everyone in the house likes Thai Green Curry.

Tofu Scramble and Chard with Walnut Sauce
Quick, easy, and I already have a brick of tofu.

Spaghetti Marinara and Kale with Walnut Sauce
Quick, easy, and I already have everything necessary to make it.  We're attending a local wedding next weekend, and I think we may bring Simran home and feed her dinner (either this or leftovers) before the reception since I think they're probably serving dinner after her normal bedtime. 

Black Bean Burgers and Chard with Walnut Sauce
I mixed up a big batch of black bean burgers the last time I made them, so I already have these stored in the freezer between sheets of wax paper and ready to pop in the oven.  I want to try them on pretzel bread rolls this time, and maybe with some provolone.  Chipotle mayo and avocado are musts.  Also lettuce and tomato.

Veggie Soft Tacos with Fresh Guacamole
We haven't had these in ages.  We used to eat them practically every weekend, starting back when we still lived in Boston.  I didn't know how to make fresh guacamole back then, but the tacos were based on the veggie tacos that were once the sole vegetarian option (as I recall) on the menu at Chili's (a restaurant that also didn't seem to know how to make fresh guacamole -- aw snap).  They were pretty good when the tortillas weren't completely stale, but then they removed them from the menu altogether in the early 2000's.  Mine are better regardless.  (I also make a significantly better, albeit vegetarian, version of their turkey sandwich served on garlic bread.)  I'm not sure how much of this Simran will be able to eat since it's mostly raw and chewy and she has exactly four teeth, but we have all those leftovers of things she likes in the freezer, so it should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment