Tuesday, February 19, 2013

New Potato Salad with Dill

I found this recipe on AllRecipes.com while looking for something that resembled the potato salad served at my college's clam bakes.  All I can remember is that it was a dill-flavored salad featuring new potatoes still in their skins.  This recipe meets those criteria.

Ingredients
3 lbs red potatoes, cut into chunks (I'll be using new potatoes, sometimes called "baby" potatoes, and just quartering them.)
1 cup low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup light mayonnaise (I'll be using normal mayo because that's what I buy.)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp white vinegar
4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped (I forgot to buy eggs this week, so I'm going to omit this ingredient and see how it goes.  I don't recall BU's potato salad having eggs in it anyway.)
1 dill pickle, chopped (I am far too lazy for this, so I'll just use a spoonful of pickle relish from my fridge.)
1/3 celery stalk, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 dash hot sauce
1 tbs dried dill weed
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 dash onion salt (I have none of this on hand. I could just use onion powder and increase the salt as needed, but since there are other onions in the dish, I think I'd rather skip this ingredient altogether.  I'm concerned it could make the dressing gritty.)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Place the potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and transfer to a large bowl to cool.

2. In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, eggs, pickle, celery, green onions, and hot sauce. Season with dill, garlic powder, onion salt, salt, and pepper. Pour over the potatoes, and gently toss to coat. Chill at least 3 hours in the refrigerator before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment