Tuesday, February 26, 2013

100% Whole Wheat Buns

This is my first attempt at baking anything with 100% whole wheat flour.  I found this recipe on Food.com that has positive reviews, so I'm using it.  I'm also being fancy and making an egg substitute to try to cut out as much of the unhealthy stuff in this bread as possible (by Caldwell Esselstyn standards, this essentially means no oil, salt, or animal products).  I'm not daring enough to take it further than that and leave out, say, the canola oil just yet, and I'm not sure the salt can go at all.

Ingredients
1 cup water
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 egg (I'll be substituting 1 tbs flax seed meal whisked with 3 tbs water -- just allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes before using it.)
3 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon salt 
1 tablespoon active dry yeast

Directions

1. Place all ingredients in your bread machine in the order dictated by the user manual.

2. Set to "dough" cycle.

3. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Divide into 8-10 pieces and shape into hamburger or hot dog buns.

4. Place on greased cookie sheets, cover, and let rise for 30-40 minutes.

5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

6. Bake buns in oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

7. Allow to cool on wire racks.

[Edited 2/27/13: These turned out great.  I made 8 hamburger buns, cooked them for 12 minutes, and did not grease the baking sheet (in my experience, this just tends to make breads brown too quickly on the bottom, and they don't stick to the sheet anyway).  The flax seed meal egg substitute worked perfectly.  I will definitely be making these again, and I will definitely try using flax seed meal and water instead of beaten eggs in breads again -- particularly anything wheaty or like a muffin or quick bread.]

No comments:

Post a Comment