Monday, February 4, 2013

Broccoli Soup

This recipe comes from Caldwell Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.  It sounds easy, healthy, and probably pretty good.  It will introduce Simran to broccoli, and I'm considering adding nutritional yeast flakes and a drained/rinsed can of white beans to see if I can replicate a sort of "broccoli cheese soup" flavor without using any actual dairy [Edited 9/23/2013:  it's quite good -- see updated recipe here]. 

Ingredients
2 large onions, chopped (2 cups)
4 garlic cloves, chopped
12 cups broccoli, cut in 2- to 3-inch pieces (I'm not sure if the recipe intends for me to peel and chopped up the stem, but I plan to.)
4 cups vegetable stock
miso, Bragg Liquid Aminos, or low-sodium tamari to taste (optional)
pepper, to taste

Directions

1. Bring onions, garlic, broccoli, and vegetable stock to a boil in a soup pot. Lower heat and cook for 10-15 minutes, until broccoli is tender.

2. Process in batches in a blender until mixture is smooth and brilliantly green, or use an immersion blender right in the soup pot.

3. Add the miso and, if desired, Bragg Liquid Aminos or low-sodium tamari to taste.

Variation: Before serving, add a few handfuls of spinach or chopped red peppers and frozen corn for color, and you have an even more nutrient-dense soup.

[Edited 2/5/13:  I ended up doubling the liquid (half low-sodium broth and half water) because the amount as written was nowhere near covering the broccoli.  It ended up rather predictably watery.  In the future, I'll try using frozen broccoli because I don't think it will require as much liquid.  I also added a drained/rinsed can of cannellini beans and 6 rounded tablespoons of nutritional yeast flakes.  I had no miso, but I used about a tablespoon of Bragg Liquid Aminos.  It tasted like cream of broccoli soup.  Sameer and I both liked it (me, enough to eat the leftovers -- not sure about Sameer), while Simran literally turned up her nose at it.  Literally.  When I finally snuck a spoonful into her mouth, she grimaced like she was being force-fed garbage.]

No comments:

Post a Comment