Saturday, February 2, 2013

Artichoke-Bean Dip

This recipe from Caldwell Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease sounded appealing, and I have a can of artichokes that I'd like to clear from my pantry, so I'm making artichoke-bean dip this week to serve with crudites as a side to veggie burgers on homemade buns.  It will be one of those weekend meals that seems thrown together and simple because it's burgers, but actually takes hours of preparation.  I think this is one thing Simran will eat willingly though, based on her positive reaction to last week's no-tahini hummus.  And she's never had artichokes before.

Ingredients
1 14 oz can artichoke hearts in water, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can navy or pinto beans, drained (Navy or cannellini beans sound much better here for creaminess.)
2 tbs lemon juice
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 green onions, white and green parts, chopped (I didn't have any green onions, so I omitted this ingredient on my first try. Tasted fine.)
pepper, to taste
cayenne, to taste

Directions

1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. This is good with vegetables, cooked greens, crackers, bread, or just alone.

[Edited 2/3/13: I went back and added the "baby food" label because Simran loved this.  She even ate leftovers straight from the fridge the next day.  The texture of the artichokes after going through the food processor reminded me of tuna salad, so I could see adding chopped celery to this.  I bet it would be good in a pita pocket with some sliced tomatoes and a couple leaves of romaine lettuce too.]

No comments:

Post a Comment