Sunday, May 19, 2013

Meal Planning

Time for weekly meal planning.  I spent a small fortune on groceries last week, so I'm going to try to make this week an inexpensive one by using up lots of things from the pantry.  We didn't get around to having the spinach lasagna last week, so I figure I'll make it this week, and the gazpacho with arugula/tomato/chive sandwiches will be our Sunday night dinner tonight.  Here is what I need to use up:  seven mini pita pockets, about a pound and a half of red baby potatoes, and two sweet potatoes.  Here is what I'm making:

Chilaquiles Casserole and Kale with Walnut Sauce
Simran ate this up the last time I made it, and it's something I can easily make hours ahead of time and throw back in the fridge.  It will also use up some of the corn still in the freezer.

Spinach Lasagna and Butternut Squash / Corn
I already have all the ingredients since I planned to make these recipes last week.  Simran loves spinach lasagna (and pretty much anything that contains cheese, it appears), and it creates enough leftovers I can put some away in the freezer for when she needs an easy lunch (we both usually have the previous night's leftovers for lunch, but not every dinner keeps that well, or creates enough leftovers).

Thai Green Curry with Brown Rice
This will use up some of the leftover sweet potato from last week (in Thai Green Curry sauce is one of the few ways Simran will eat it these days -- sweet potatoes used to be one of her favorite foods) as well the remaining broccoli in the freezer.

Tortilla Pie and Chard with Walnut Sauce and Sweet Potato - Lime Salad
I will already have most of the ingredients to make this after buying corn tortillas and making slow cooker black beans for the chilaquiles.  Tortilla Pie is also a healthy favorite in our house that also happens to be vegan.  Sweet Potato - Lime Salad is new to me.  It sounds like it might be disgusting, especially to Simran, but I already have most of the ingredients so it's worth a shot.  And it will use up the last of the sweet potatoes.

Curried Tofu Salad in Pita Pockets and Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
The curried tofu recipe is new to me, but it sounds good and will use up a couple more pita pockets.  I want to come up with another vegetable dish to serve with this, maybe a leftover from a previous day or just pureed squash from the freezer if I don't come up with any other ideas.

Spicy Vegetable Curry over Basmati Rice
I haven't made this in awhile, and it will use up some of the peas and carrots and quinoa I have on hand.  I even have fresh homemade yogurt to serve with it this time.

Deviled Baby Potatoes and Kale with Walnut Sauce and pita pockets filled with hummus and leftover veggies
The Deviled Baby Potatoes will use up the last of the red potatoes, and the pita pocket sandwiches will use up a couple pitas plus any leftover salad greens, tomatoes, etc from earlier in the week.  I'd like to just have the deviled baby potatoes and a large dinner salad, but I have to take into account what Simran can and cannot chew, and she can't really handle raw vegetables yet, so the filled pita pockets are more for Sameer and me, while Simran enjoys gnawing on plain pita bread.  Maybe I'll make some homemade ranch dressing and have a dinner salad too, or put some in my pita sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment