Friday, January 13, 2012

Homemade Ranch Dressing

 I like this dressing with salads, cheese fries (it closely resembles the spicy ranch from Outback Steakhouse -- the key is the cayenne pepper), and cut raw vegetables.  The dried herb amounts are all approximations since I don't bother using measuring spoons when I make this.  Go easy on the dill weed and do everything else to taste.

If you want to lose weight without trying, make this dressing and buy a bunch of fresh vegetables like broccoli florets and carrots.  Eat as much as you want of the veggies and dip whenever you want.  Any time I do this, I end up gorging myself on veggies and dip -- particularly in the afternoon before dinnertime -- and being too full of fiber and non-fat yogurt to eat much else.  Any time I make this dressing, I tend to lose about a pound per week.

Ingredients
1 small yellow onion
1 cup plain non-fat yogurt (for vegan option, use Forager brand unsweetened plain cashew yogurt)
2 tbs mayonnaise (for vegan option, use Vegannaise)
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp freeze-dried chives
1/4 tsp garlic salt (I'm honestly not sure how much garlic salt I use. I typically turn the shaker upside-down and count to three. If you taste the dressing and it still has a sort of sour yogurty taste, add more garlic salt.)
1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper (the 'fresh ground' part is important)
1-2 dashes cayenne pepper

Directions

1. Grate the onion into a bowl (I use the fine side of a cheese grater).  Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment