Sunday, January 15, 2012

Avocado Grilled Enchilada with Red Chile Pesto

This recipe is my best attempt to recreate the dish by the same name from On The Border restaurant.  There's room for improvement in my reverse-engineering skills, but I personally like my version better than the original.  The ingredients listed below are aimed at making dinner for two, as I do.  Tonight I plan to serve it with red cabbage slaw and a side of seasoned black beans.

Ingredients
2 large flour tortillas
1/2 tbs olive oil
1 avocado, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1/4 red onion, sliced
1/2 cup Morningstar chik'n strips (or Tofurky or Gardein)
1 jar or can chipotle sauce (my favorite is San Marcos brand)
1/2 cup cheddar and pepper jack cheese blend, shredded
1 cup red chile pesto

Directions
Lightly sauté red onion, red bell pepper, and chik'n strips in as little olive oil as possible.  Add 1/2 cup chipotle sauce and mix until heated through.  Wrap half of mixture, cheese, and avocado slices in each tortilla, and grill in a skillet (no oil) over medium heat until lightly toasted and golden brown.  Serve with red chile pesto on the side.
 
Skip the cheese if you want to make it vegan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment