Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Red Chile Pesto

This is my revised recipe for the red chile pesto that goes with the grilled avocado enchiladas.  The chipotles in adobo are an estimate because I used three today and it was very spicy, so I would use one to start and see how that is before adding another.  I have made this pesto so many ways over the years because I forget to update my recipe and end up just making up a new one as I go.  As long as you adjust to taste, it's very forgiving.  Sameer always eats it until it's gone.

Ingredients
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted (I just move them around in a skillet over medium heat for a couple minutes until they start to smell toasty)
2 dried ancho chiles
2 dried guajillo chiles
4 cloves garlic
1 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 tsp salt
juice of 2 limes
2 tbs tomato sauce (I used an open jar of pizza sauce today.  I would use marinara or plain tomato puree or whatever I've got already in the fridge.)
1-2 chipotles in adobo

Directions

1) Remove seeds from the chiles and soak the chiles in hot water for an hour.

2) Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend.  Adjust to taste  If it needs more spice, add another chipotle in adobo.  If it's too spicy, add more tomato sauce.  If it's bitter or still too spicy after adding more tomato, add sugar 1/2 tsp at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment