Sunday, March 22, 2020

Cleaning Products

I got into a kick of making non-edible essential oil-based products a few months ago because I wanted to use up some things I already owned (a few bottles of essential oils I liked the scent of but omg it takes forever to use them up and a bottle of vegetable glycerin Sameer had bought before an aborted attempt at DIY soft soap ages ago).  I really need to save the recipes I like because I have trouble finding them every time I need to make a new batch.

Lavender Laundry Water
I put this in a little spray bottle and use it for ironing because it's what the maids at Tyersall Park do in Crazy Rich Asians.  I iron a lot more now because it smells nice and feels soothing.  The scent fades from the clothes before I wear them though, unlike at Tyersall Park where everyone's shirts smell like lavender and being rich and having maids.  I just use normal drinking vodka for the alcohol.

Foaming Hand Soap
Simran does not like this soap.  Sameer and I prefer it over store-bought varieties.  I assume it's the eucalyptus or tea tree scent she dislikes because nothing else in it has a strong scent.  Someday, maybe next winter, if I ever actually get close to using up the tiny bottles of essential oils I already have (and mine are just a few random choices from Whole Foods; I can't imagine what collections people who got into MLM oil-selling must have) I want to make evergreen scented soap.  I love herby and evergreen scents best, and they are not prominent choices in the cheap soft soap market.

Granite Cleaner 
I made this for the first time when we ran out of granite cleaner for the first time in months earlier this year.  I use lemon essential oil in place of the grapefruit because it's a citrus scent I have, and I use rosemary essential oil in place of the basil because it's a kitchen herb scent that I have.  Give it a shake before you spray each time so the oils mix in a bit.  It's smells more like rubbing alcohol than other granite cleaners, at least until the scent quickly fades, but it works well and I can make more for the next few months with the ingredients I already have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment