Monday, January 2, 2012

Tofu & Vegetable Stir Fry

This recipe varies for me based on what is currently in the refrigerator and freezer.  Anytime I have more vegetables than I can use in other meals, I chop them up and freeze them to use in this stir fry.  All of the ingredients in this stir fry freeze and reheat well.  Here is my favorite version of this recipe, and the version I'm making tonight. 

Ingredients
1-2 tbs peanut oil
1 cup extra firm tofu, cubed (this recipe also works well with sliced seitan or a combination of the two)
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 tsp fresh ginger root, minced (or ginger paste, if you're lazy like me)
1 clove garlic, minced (or about 1 tsp garlic paste, if you're lazy like me)
2 carrots, chopped
1-2 cups broccoli florets
1/2 cup baby corn (or however much is in half a can)
1/4 cup water chestnuts, sliced (or however much is in half a small can)
1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, sliced (I like to slice up one of each, use about a third of each, and freeze the rest for later)
2-5 tbs Braggs' Liquid Aminos (Adjust to taste.  Low sodium tamari also works, but I find full-sodium soy sauce makes the dish unbearably salty.)
1/2 cup water
1 tbs corn starch
1/2 tbs honey or brown sugar
2 tsp sesame oil


Directions

1. First drain the tofu.  If it is already cubed, just drain as much liquid as possible.  If it's still in one big block, wrap it in a couple of paper towels, place it between two dinner plates, and put a few cans on top to weight it down.  After a couple of minutes, most of the water should be drained from the tofu block.  If you didn't buy at least firm or extra firm, get more liquid out of it by re-wrapping it in new paper towels and doing this step again.  Unwrap it and cut it into 1/2 inch cubes.  Heat the peanut oil in the skillet and add the tofu cubes (or seitan)  Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned all over -- about five minutes. 

2. Add the sliced onions to the skillet.  Cook onions until slightly translucent, then add garlic and ginger. 

3. Whisk together Bragg Liquid Aminos, corn starch, and water, and add this sauce to the skillet. 

4. Add remaining ingredients.  Cook over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.  I usually cover the skillet and let it cook on low for about 30 minutes while the rice finishes cooking.  If the vegetables cook to the point of getting mushy, it just makes them taste more like take-out, so I've never seen this overcook.

I serve this over Alton Brown's baked brown rice.  It's also good with brown rice noodles.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, I really love to cook vegetarian stir fry recipe because I am a vegetarian and my favorite recipe to cook is always vegetables. I hope you may post more recipes of vegetables here.

    ReplyDelete