Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Spinach and Feta Pita Bake

I'm making these little pita pizzas for dinner tonight instead of on Pizza Thursday because they are quick and easy and I don't feel like doing much.  The recipe is originally from AllRecipes.com -- my version below has my notes and a couple minor alterations.

Ingredients
2 - 4 (6 inch) whole wheat pita breads
1 (6 ounce) tub sun-dried tomato pesto (Fresh made-from-scratch sun-dried tomato pesto can be even better, but I find it twice as expensive to make as it is to buy ready made.)
2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped
4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (I'm not supposed to have feta while pregnant, so I'm using shredded mozzarella tonight.)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 pinch ground black pepper to taste


Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Spread tomato pesto onto one side of each pita bread, and place them pesto side up on a baking sheet. Top with tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, feta cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Season with fresh ground pepper.
Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven or until pita breads are crisp. Cut into quarters and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment