Sunday, August 6, 2017

Meal Planning

I'm trying out some recipes from cookbooks that are due back at the library soon.  I also need to detox after our week in Kansas City eating restaurant food.  I've been wanting cheese less and less, which is nice.

Vegetable Manchow Soup
I'm making this for myself for lunches.  I now double the recipe, skip the oil (the stock burns, so I'll saute the vegetables in water this time and see how that goes, and double the mushrooms.  A full bowl or two plus a piece of fruit makes a filling and healthy lunch.  It helps me lose weight too, so I'm guessing it's pretty low calorie.  It is mostly cabbage, after all.

Veggie Sushi
The grocery stores around me all sell sushi, but none of them sell the veggie stuff, which is ridiculous, so I'm taking another stab at making it myself.  I'm going to serve it with the manchow soup one night.

Veggie Pepperoni
All the stores in my area have stopped selling vegetarian pepperoni, so I'm making my own again and hoping Sim will eat it.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.

Shiitake Bakin'
From the No Meat Athlete cookbook, page 62.  It's pseudo-bacon from a mushroom, which sounds great to me.  Again, not sure how I'll use it, but it could work plain or in sandwiches.

Vietnamese Veggie & Rice Noodle Salad
From the No Meat Athlete cookbook, page 140).

Baked Tempeh Nuggets and Smoky Potato Salad Over Greens (from No Meat Athlete cookbook, pages 170, 143)

Spaghetti & Meatless Balls and Green Salad with Cashew Ranch Dressing (from No Meat Athlete, page 152)

Personal Pizzas
We finally have a working oven again, so that means pizza.  I'm going to make dough from Neal Barnard's Get Healthy Go Vegan cookbook (mostly special only because it's half whole wheat, and he replaces the sugar with agave nectar, though I'm not sure that matters), divide it into three, and make personal pizzas for each of us.  I want to make them vegan, or at least make mine vegan, and use some of the fresh basil while it's still growing.  Sim doesn't like the same vegetables as I do though, so maybe if I put little containers of ingredients in front of her, she'll actually eat what she puts on it.  I'd like cherry tomatoes, arugula, basil, olives, mushrooms, and I'm not sure what else on mine.

Chilli-Garlic Noodles
Because I need a way to use up the other half of the shredded cabbage I need for the manchow soup.

Vegan Cheese Sauce (maybe to make into mac 'n cheese and/or over steamed broccoli)

Classic French Vinaigrette (from NMA, page 153)

Creamy Herbed Hemp Dressing (from NMA, page 156, I think I would substitute fresh basil and cilantro for the parsley the recipe calls for and see how that goes, partly because I keep those herbs on hand and mostly because I find fresh parsley overpowering)

No comments:

Post a Comment