Saturday, June 29, 2013

Chilli Garlic Noodles

After two weeks in a row of trying to get Indo-Chinese takeout and having our plans foiled, I've found a recipe for my favorite dish there.  This recipe comes from Shweta in the Kitchen and looked the tastiest of the ones I saw while browsing the internets.

Ingredients
1 packet of Noodles (I use a 16 oz. box of 100% whole wheat spaghetti noodles)
5-6 small sized spring onion bulbs cut in julienne
Few spring Onions green cut in julienne
1/8 cabbage cut in julienne (I use half a green cabbage.  I shred the whole thing my salad shooter, put half in a sealed container in the fridge for the following week, and rinse the other half in a colander for same day use.  Do NOT rinse the half you plan to store.  Washed cabbage begins to reek almost immediately.  Ask me how I know.)
1 carrot cut in julienne (I use more like 3 carrots, shredded in my salad shooter.)
1/2 green capsicum cut in julienne (I just chop an entire green bell pepper for this.)
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
2 1/2 tbsp chilli garlic sauce (I make Milder Chile-Garlic paste and use half of it each time I make this dish.  It has almost no heat, so I then add spicy chilli garlic sauce to taste -- about 2 tsp would do for the whole skillet.)
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce (I use at least double this amount and often add more to my plate.)
1-2 tbsp oil for cooking
salt & pepper to taste  

Directions

1. Boil noodles as per package instructions. Drain & soak in cold water for about 5 mins to prevent them from cooking further. Drain & mix with 1 tbsp of oil to prevent them from sticking. Keep aside.  (I am too lazy for this.  I cook the noodles while I cook the veggies, then just toss them into the skillet with the finished veggies.)

2. In a wok, heat some oil & once hot add ginger garlic paste. Saute for a minute & add the spring onions. Saute for a min  again.

3. Now add the green capsicum, carrots & cabbage. Saute till these veggies a partially cooked. Try to retain the crunchiness of these veggies. 

4. Add  chilli garlic sauce, soya sauce, vinegar & salt pepper. Mix well.

5. Add the drained & cooked noodles & mix well till all is well combined.

6. Top it with some spring onions green (reserve half for garnishing) & mix well. Cook for about 1-2 mins. 

[Edited 7/3/13:  It's delicious, but OMG it tastes like burning!  I used about 16 oz of whole wheat spaghetti and reduced the chilli-garlic sauce to 2 tbs, and the level of spice was on par with the spiciest thing I ever ate in India.  I ate everything on the plate and plan to eat the leftovers for lunch, but I had to get up twice to get more water and tissues.  Next time I will reduce the chilli-garlic sauce to 1 tbs and increase garlic paste to 2 tsp.  More veggies wouldn't be bad either, though this amount was comparable to how they do it in restaurants.]


No comments:

Post a Comment