Monday, November 4, 2019

Meal Planning

We didn't end up having the penne alla vodka last week, so I'm moving that to this upcoming Saturday.  Sameer will be out of town most of the week, so we're doing easy dinners in the style of his fast days most of the week.  Here is what I have to use up:  five organic russet potatoes, two eggs, and a whole mess of apples and pears.  I have no idea how I'll eat that many apples and pears essentially on my own, but I also don't know any recipes I want to make from them.  Here's what I'm making this week:

Baked Potato Skins and Brussel Sprouts and some manner of Gardein frozen chik'n tenders or veg turkey cutlets
This will use up the potatoes, which are baking as I type this.  I'm going to make ranch dressing to go with them because it's tastier and slightly healthier than sour cream.  We also have a small amount of sour cream in the fridge that Sameer or Sim might finish off tonight.

Hearty Veggie Hoagies and Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
This one is going to irritate Sim, but the sandwich can be made well in advance and it's good and it's healthy.  This way I'll be able to pick her up from her extracurricular at school and give her a shower without it interfering with my ability to have dinner ready at the right time. 

I determined last week -- the week of sambar and broccoli soup -- that I should only make one soup or stew-type dish per week since it yields such plentiful leftovers for both my lunches and vegetable sides for Sim at dinners.  So this will be our soup this week, as it is so many weeks of the year.

Brie/Arugula/Tomato Baguette Sandwiches and Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup and Macaroni and Cheese
Since it's just the two of us eating the veggie hoagies, we'll have bread leftover from the whole wheat half-baguette I'm buying for it, so we'll have these sandwiches the next day and hope it's still soft enough to eat.  We'll have leftover soup from Tuesday.  I'm making mac 'n cheese just to use up the two eggs before they go bad and because I don't want to deal with the repercussions of eating an entire batch of cookies or a cake, which are the other things I can think of to make from them.

Arugula-Feta Pita Pizzas and Yet More Leftover Soup 
Sim used to love these little pita pizzas, and maybe she'll be happy enough that it resembles pizza, but I have a feeling she'll feel cheated that there are vegetables on it.  I think it sounds really good though, and it's quick and easy and reasonably healthy, so I'm going with it.


Stuffed Pita Pockets and Random Leftover Sides
I figure we can use the last of the arugula or some green lettuce, tomatoes, veggie bacon, leftover feta from the day before, and whatever else we have on hand to stuff the pita pockets.

Penne alla Vodka
Saturday night.


No comments:

Post a Comment