Friday, April 8, 2022

All the Frying

I have a package of vegan wonton wrappers on the verge of expiration, so I told Sim I would make the cherry pie wontons she's been ask for since I made them last Thanksgiving and also the vegetarian pepperoni pizza spring rolls from the Delish Loves Disney magazine that she loves so much. Today I remembered I actually need the much larger egg roll wrappers to make the pizza rolls, so that leaves me with a whole bunch more wonton wrappers to use up than I realized and quite a bit more cooking than I had planned on.  Today I'm prepping and frying all day, and the house will undoubtedly smell like fry oil for the rest of the weekend.  A lot of what I make will cool and then go into ziploc bags in the freezer for later.  Here is what I'm making today:


Cherry Pie Wontons

I just bought a large can of cherry pie filling for this rather than make my own this time. I'll make these first because they're the easiest and I don't want to cook them in the oil after the savory stuff with garlic has cooked in it. [Edited 4/13/2022: Canned cherry pie filling is not as flavorful as fresh. I had no idea because I hadn't eaten it in years. I bought a can with basic ingredients like cherries and sugar, but it didn't have that brightness my homemade batch made from sour cherries had. Canned version was blander.]


Cream Cheese and Green Onion Wontons 

Because they are delicious and I already had cream cheese in the fridge.


Potstickers

In case I still have too many wonton wrappers.  I have like 50 that need to be used up today.  I can use any leftover vegetable matter from these to make chilli-garlic noodles next week.


Vegetarian Pepperoni Pizza Spring Rolls (Delish Loves Disney, pg. 12)

If I have too many egg roll wrappers for the amount of filling this makes, I can also make veggie pizza ones with onion, green bell pepper, and cheese because Sameer likes that version even better (neither Sim nor I agree, but they are fine).  I bought an extra bell pepper just in case.


Grilled Baby Bok Choy with Tamari and Chinese Mustard Sauce (Vedge, pg. 83)

I also bought a few bunches of baby bok choy to make this as a vegetable side because the bok choy was there and cheap and I like this dish a lot when I chop and lightly stirfry it instead of bothering to grill (it makes it both easier and more consistently cooked). There will also presumably be some garlicky spinach and green salad to eat too tonight, or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment