Monday, January 6, 2014

Oatie Pancakes

I mentioned in another post wanting to find a 100% whole grain pancake recipe.  I pulled this one from Caldwell Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease and substituted oat flour for the barley flour, solely because I had oat flour already in the pantry.  I'm sure you could also substitute 2 cups rolled oats that had been run through a food processor for a few minutes for both the grains -- my food processor only works so well, so I'd end up with half oats, half flour anyway.  Simran and I ate these pancakes with unsweetened applesauce and they were okay, but I think I could make an interesting sort of whole grain crepe from these and fill them with a no-sugar-added winter fruit compote.  I think I'd only have to make them a bit bigger (and I think they might even be crepe thin and still hold up if the rolled oats are omitted).

Ingredients
1 cup barley flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 tbs baking powder
2 cups non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond, though I have reason to believe sweetened would taste a bit better.)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions

1. Mix all dry ingredients in a small bowl.  Mix the vanilla into the milk.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until there are no more chunks of dry flour.  (You can do this step the night before you make the pancakes and just keep the batter in the fridge.  It'll be a nicer, thicker consistency that way.)

2. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.  Add a small amount of non-stick cooking spray (you'll only need to do this once, not for each pancake).  Ladle a portion of the batter into the skillet and let cook over medium-low heat until even the top layer of the pancake looks mostly dry, then flip with a spatula and cook the other side.  Please note these pancakes do not burn as easily or cook as quickly as standard buttermilk pancakes.  Serve with maple syrup or warm fruit compote. 

No comments:

Post a Comment