Friday, January 3, 2014

Meal Planning

Time for weekly meal planning.  I'm still going through what's currently in the freezer and pantry and using it up.  Here is what I'm making:

Black Bean Burgers and Baked Sweet Potato Fries and Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
I just cooked a batch of black beans in my slow-cooker yesterday, and I have some leftover brown rice from making stir-fry last night, so I'm throwing these burgers together today, with all the leftovers going in the freezer for later.  The vegan cream of broccoli soup is from a batch of leftovers I uncovered in the freezer.

Black Bean Nacho Pizza and Green Salad
We haven't had nacho pizza in awhile, and I found a whole wheat pizza dough in the freezer the other day.  I'm experimenting with making green salads this week since Simran has shown an interest in them.

Veggie Tacos and Vegan Refried Beans and Spanish Rice
We haven't had veggie tacos in awhile, and I wasn't sure what else to make.  Vegan refried beans are just slow-cooker pinto beans cooked with onions and taco spice that are then drained and hit with the immersion blender. 

Red Lentil & Squash Curry Stew and Sandwiches with Hummus, Lettuce & Tomato
I wanted to experiment with using different flavors of homemade hummus, such as the buffalo hummus, as sandwich spreads.  I'm hoping by the day I make this meal that my sourdough starter might even be ready so I can make fresh 100% whole grain rye sourdough bread.

Creamy Vegetable Lasagna and Green Salad
The last time I made a vegan lasagna, none of us liked it.  It didn't taste bad, but it didn't taste like a meal, just a plate of random hot vegetables.  I think the cheese might not be missed so much if the sauce is creamier -- I'm imagining the sauce Stouffer's uses on their vegetable lasagna in the freezer section.  So I'm planning to incorporate various finely chopped vegetables, such as broccoli and carrots and onions, like Stouffer's does, and make a sauce from some combination of pureed white beans, almond milk, nutritional yeast, and lots and lots of garlic.  Maybe some roasted garlic too.

Vegetarian Korma and Basmati Rice
I have less than one dose of curry base left in my freezer, so I need to start from scratch on this to use up what I do have.  This dish was pretty healthy -- aside from my inclusion of ghee -- and the best Indian food I've ever made at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment