Monday, April 29, 2013

Pea Guacamole

This recipe from Caldwell Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease doesn't sound particularly appealing to me, but I wonder if it might get Simran to eat peas again without them being purchased as jarred baby food.  I'll be making this with Simran in mind, so I'll be simplifying it a bit.  My changes are in italics.

Ingredients
2 cups frozen peas
4 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp minced garlic
cilantro, a handful or more [I'll be omitting this since it's for Simran and cilantro seems to be her least favorite part of normal avocado guacamole.]
1 small red onion, minced (1/4 cup) [I'll be omitting this as well since she doesn't like raw onion in her guacamole.]
1/2 cup minced ripe tomato
pepper, to taste
red pepper flakes, to taste [I'll probably omit this since it's some very concentrated spiciness.]

Directions


1. Put peas under warm water until softened but still cold.  [I'm lazy -- I'll just move them from freezer to fridge a few hours before I want to use them.] Place peas, lemon juice, garlic, and cilantro in a food processor and process until very smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl. [WHY? Why do I need to sully another bowl?  I'll just add the tomato and pepper to the food processor and mix them in as much as I can without everything pouring over the sides.  Or if I make it in advance, I can mix the final additions together in a Rubbermaid container.  No need for so many mixing bowls.]

2. Stir in the onion, tomato, pepper, and pepper flakes. Let stand for 10 minutes and serve within an hour or two (it loses its bright color after that, but still tastes the same).

No comments:

Post a Comment