Saturday, October 19, 2013

Vegan Overnight Oats

I discovered this recipe for vegan overnight oats on OhSheGlows.com a couple months ago, and now I eat it every morning.  Before I found this recipe, I had been trying to get used to eating GrapeNuts with fruit and soy milk every morning because there are very few other breakfast cereals without sugar or undesirable additives.  But I just don't like GrapeNuts that much.  Fortunately, I love this cold oatmeal, which is cheap, easy, and healthy, and since I make it before bed, all I have to do in the morning is pull it out of the refrigerator and get a spoon.

It took Simran a couple of weeks of showing an interest in this breakfast and then refusing to taste it before she finally ate a bite.  Now she chases her baby oatmeal with a solid third of my breakfast every morning (I eat really fast so that she can't take more than that, or she might eat it all).  It should be easy to transition her from baby oatmeal to grown-up oatmeal now.

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds (the cheapest ones I've seen are in the bulk bins at Whole Foods)
  • 1 banana, peeled/quartered/chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional -- I often omit this ingredient, though it does add something to the flavor)
Directions

1. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight.  Stir well before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment