Thursday, January 1, 2015

Rigatoni alla Anthony

This is my adaptation of the dish I like best from La Dolce Vita, an Italian restaurant in my town.  It's very quick and easy, and I use whole grain pasta for mine, as well as a higher concentration of vegetables than the restaurant uses.  I personally think mine tastes better than the restaurant's, but only because the higher concentration of vegetables makes it have more flavor.  To make it vegan, just leave out the cheese.  I've also made it oil-free, though it doesn't taste as good as it does with a tablespoon or two of olive oil.

Ingredients
1-2 tbs olive oil
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed (you want them bite-sized, so you can either get small artichoke hearts or larger ones that have been quartered -- I just get whichever is cheaper)
1 14 oz. can Italian-style diced tomatoes, including juices
1/2 lb fresh spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped
1 16 oz. box of whole wheat pasta (I have never been able to find whole grain rigatoni, so I usually buy penne because it's close to the same shape.  I usually use about 12 oz. or 3/4 of the box when cooking for our 2-adult household, and there's always some of the dish leftover.)
salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
2 tbs freshly grated Parmesan

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions.

2. While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.  Cook onions until translucent.  Add garlic and cook another minute more, making sure not to let it burn.

3. Add artichoke hearts, diced tomatoes, and chopped spinach to the onions.  Cook until the spinach is wilted and the other vegetables are heated through.

4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Drain cooked pasta and stir into the vegetable mixture.  Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment