Monday, January 12, 2015

Simran's Cinnamon-Raisin Oatmeal

I don't buy instant oatmeal, and while old-fashioned rolled oats only take about five minutes to cook, it's still too long for Simran to wait patiently for breakfast, especially since they have to cool for about another ten, so I was pleased to figure out this tactic for making us a hot breakfast on the particularly cold winter days.  This is enough for the two of us -- I eat about a cup of cooked oatmeal and she eats 2 - 3 times that much.

Ingredients
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins
2 dashes ground cinnamon
2 cups non-dairy milk

Directions

1. Mix together all ingredients in a medium-sized pot, uncovered over medium heat.

2. This is when I go get Simran up in the morning.  It takes about 5 - 7 minutes to get her up and bring her downstairs, at which point the oats are at a low but rolling boil.  I turn off the heat immediately, stir the oatmeal, and leave it uncovered in the pot while we take Sameer to the train station.  By the time we get home about 15 minutes later, I put the oatmeal in bowls and it's just cool enough to eat.

[Edited 12/18/2016: I've been using exclusively unsweetened almond milk in this recipe for months now (stopped buying the sweetened variety quite awhile back), and Simran never seemed to notice the change.  She still requests this "hotmeal" on a semi-regular basis.  I don't think it tastes particularly good, but she has zero experience with sweetened instant oatmeal packets and eats this stuff by the pot.]

No comments:

Post a Comment