Friday, December 29, 2017

Kale Berry Smoothie

The tropical kale smoothie that had been my daily breakfast for the last year or two has slowly morphed into this kale-berry smoothie.  I've been slowly replacing ingredients with ingredients that seem to have more health benefits, based on Dr. Michael Greger's Nutrition Facts podcast, website, book, and "daily dozen" app. 

Here is how I've been making it these days.  It makes two servings.  I drink a 16 oz glassful and put the other half in a 20 oz mason jar in the fridge for lunch or breakfast the next day.  It is a fantastic start to the day and keeps me full till lunch.

Ingredients
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk (I use WestSoy these days because its ingredient list is limited to water and soy beans and it tastes good AND it's even shelf stable.  It's expensive though.  A lot cheaper at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods than at my local Jewel.  I should really take another stab at making my own soy milk...)
1/4 cup pineapple (I use chunks canned in their own juice.)
1 ripe banana (fresh or frozen)
1 tsp amla (Indian gooseberry) powder, from dried whole fruit (I bought this on Amazon)
1 tsp chia seeds (or hemp seeds -- I think pretty much any seed would do fine here, it's just to add a touch of fat)
2 tbs ground flaxseed
2 cups frozen kale (I buy fresh curly green kale, tear it up and wash it, and put it in a bag in the freezer for these smoothies.  I've used it without freezing it, and it overpowers the entire smoothie with its green leafy taste.  If I don't have frozen kale, I use fresh baby spinach, which I keep on hand.  I also am not sure it's exactly two cups.  I fill the entire blender with green until there's barely room for the berries.)
1/2 cup berries (This is really good with whole strawberries, wild blueberries, or any kind of berry blend.  I usually get organic ones from the Trader Joe's freezer section.)

Directions

1. Put all ingredients in a high speed blender, blend, and drink.  Makes two servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment