Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Meal Planning

Time for weekly meal planning.  I've had some great successes (IMO) with some new, all healthy, no oil recipes in the last couple weeks, so I'm making some of them again.  I define "great success" as actually enjoying eating it, not feeling hungry afterward, finishing off the leftovers for lunch, and wanting to make it again.  I rarely encounter "great successes," even if I'm the only judge.  Here is what I need to use up this week:  four ripe avocados, a couple cups fresh baby spinach, some sliced summer squash and red bell pepper leftover from fajita night, some whole wheat hamburger buns, a package and a half of corn tortillas and another of whole wheat tortillas, and a pound and a half of mushrooms (because I destroyed the mashed potatoes intended for mushroom shepherd's pie -- while an immersion blender works fine on sweet potatoes, it turns russets into glue).  Here is what I'm making this week:

Broccoli Cheeze Twice Baked Potatoes and Collard Greens with Almonds and Vegetable Cutlets
I still have collard greens leftover from last week since I had planned to make them with shepherd's pie.  These potatoes were fantastic considering how healthy they are.  No-oil, low-fat meals often leave me hungry, even when they are full of fiber and protein that make it impossible to eat any more in quantity, but these potatoes had flavor and filled me up.  I finished off all the leftovers.  The no-oil vegetable cutlets (I used whole wheat panko instead of crushed corn flakes) are great too.  I want to play around with the spices some.  I think I used more potato than the recipe calls for and intentionally used less cayenne (like I do) and they turned out a little bland.

Penne alla Vodka and Mushrooms with Spinach
I'm using up the fajita vegetables (they didn't get seasoned or cooked yet, just cut) on penne alla vodka.  I'm using up the mushrooms and baby spinach by making a sort of tapas-style side sauteed with fresh garlic and marsala wine. 

Cheese Pizza and Green Salad

Soy Burgers and Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
I'm going to use No Meat Athlete's classic slider recipe as a base, but I'm using soy beans instead of black beans.  We'll see how it goes.

Tofu & Veggie Stir-fry and Brown Rice

1 comment: