Monday, July 5, 2021

BROL

This recipe comes from Michael Greger MD of NutritionFacts.org.  I'm not sure if this base recipe is in one of his cookbooks or if it's only found with other things added to it.  I couldn't find it plain though and I just make this basic BROL (barley/rye/oats/lentil) as the base for my lunchtime Buddha bowls.  It makes enough for a week worth of Buddha bowl lunches.  It's just basic whole grains and lentils, so it could theoretically be the base for a lot of different things.  It is one of the few things I've ever eaten that made me feel energetic and just better in general than before I ate.  I also used up some random whole grains as substitutions (e.g., millet) before buying the actual ingredients listed below.  If you have whole grains or lentils to use up and don't know what to do with them, I highly recommend this.


Ingredients:

1/3 cup hulled barley

1/3 cup rye berries

1/3 cup oat groats

1/2 cup black beluga lentils


Directions:

1) Rinse barley, rye, and oats and combine with 2 cups of water in an Instant Pot.  Cook for 30 minutes with natural release.

2) Set aside cooked grains and put black lentils and 1 cup water into Instant Pot. Cook for 1 minute with natural release.

3) Stir grains and lentils to combine.  Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week.  Eat plain or add whatever.  They have more flavor than most plain grains.  Not bad for a healthy breakfast, especially with some fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment