Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Meal Planning

I didn't really consider how few days Sunday's meal plan would get us through. It's only Wednesday, and the only thing I haven't made yet is the soup. Here is a meal plan for some of the days over the next week and a half leading up to Christmas. I'm sure I'll have to plot out more or have leftover night or something, but I can finally see the bottom of the freezer drawer, so whatever I'm doing is working. Today's plan is geared toward continuing to clear out the freezer and not buying much beyond produce. It will get us through the weekend at least.


Vegetable Barley Soup and Grilled Cheese

I just need sourdough bread and some cheeses for the sandwiches. I'm going to be in Naperville today for other shopping, so I think I'll get fresh bread from the Whole Foods there and make this tonight.


DIY Burritos/Quesadilla Night

Because I have three or four ripe avocados in the fridge right now, plus cilantro and a jalapeno, so I'll make guacamole. Also special black beans from my latest Rancho Gordo Bean haul. I do need lettuce and tomatoes for burritos, but I want those for DIY sandwich nights anyway.


Prepared Vegetarian Meats and Sweet Potatoes and Peas

I have sweet potatoes that won't stay good for long. And so many fake meats in the freezer, which I love because it makes for a very easy dinner. I need to do this one sooner rather than later before the sweet potatoes go bad. Probably tomorrow. I already have everything for making this meal.


Garlicky Vegan Korean Mac 'n Cheese

To use up my vegan Parm, roasted garlic, and some of my frozen broccoli. I'm out of elbow macaroni, so this dinner will finish off an open box of bow-tie pasta. I already have everything to make this.


Tofu Pot Pie

Because I still have blueberry pie filling I made last time that we could have with leftover pie crust, and the pot pie will use up a small amount of what I've just discovered is way too many bags of peas in my freezer. I don't need to buy anything to make this meal.


Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup

To use up more of the broccoli from the freezer and white beans from my latest Rancho Gordo Bean box. This soup could go with sandwiches, fake meats from the freezer, or other leftovers to make a full meal. I already have all the ingredients on hand.


Side note: I made the Gingerbread Banana Bread from Vegan Richa yesterday, and it's fantastic. Simran had it as an afterschool snack and again as breakfast this morning. I'll make another loaf of it very soon, partly because I like it and it's not that unhealthy and partly because of my hoard of bananas. We're also making Gingerbread Cookies this week. Sameer promised Simran.


Since the fridge and freezer will be under control by Christmas, my January meal planning goal will be clearing out the pantry. I have some boxes of noodles and lots of beans taking up space. My "baking ingredients" and "whole grains, etc." boxes are so full I don't even know what all is in them, so they will both be early focal points. I know I have more than one bag of almond flour and more than one bag of brown sugar with my baking stuff, and I know I have three kinds of cornmeal and suspect I have more quinoa than I know about (there used to be a small bag of red quinoa that I don't remember finishing off). I've also got canned goods that'll make more room when I use them up. I figure I'll just pull out a few non-perishable items each week and meal plan around them, aiming to buy little more than produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment