Sunday, November 17, 2013

Meal Planning

Time for weekly meal planning.  Here is what's currently in the fridge to use up:  a bunch and a half of lacinato kale, a lot of spinach (most of which will probably get used up in tonight's dinner), a handful of cremini mushrooms, and a lot of arugula.  The greens all have to go asap or they will have to be thrown out.  I want to make some easy stuff this week since so many of my meals lately have been severely time consuming.  However, I am also aware that one-dish dinners like penne alla vodka tend to mean making something else altogether for Simran when she refuses to eat it.  Here is what I'm planning to make:

Crispy Breaded Tofu Strips and Winter Squash Mac 'n Cheeze and Peas & Carrots and Buffalo Hummus with Celery Sticks

Veggie Meatball Subs and Curry Pumpkin Soup
I made veggie meatballs last week and, while Simran wouldn't eat them, I thought they were surprisingly good considering they are mostly lentils and vegetables and VERY healthy.  I threw the remainder in the freezer, and I plan to use them this week to make veggie meatball subs with fresh bread, marinara sauce, sliced provolone, and some baby spinach.  I'm hopeful that if the baby spinach is cut chiffonade and hidden under the veggie balls, and the veggie balls are under sauce and cheese, she might actually eat them, if only on accident.

Tofu Kiev and Spiced Red Lentil, Tomato, & Kale Soup and either rice pilaf or some leftover starch from another dinner (e.g., pasta, bread, potato)
I still haven't made either of these dishes, despite their being on my menu plan for the last two weeks.  

Black Bean Burgers and Baked Sweet Potato Fries and Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
Rather than buy a new batch of Romaine hearts, I plan to use up some of the leftover arugula on the burgers.  They will also use up the provolone I will have to buy for the veggie meatball subs.  I already have the burgers in the freezer from the last time I made them.

Pizza with Mushrooms, Onions, & Arugula and Beets and Cinnamon Squash Chowder
I've been craving a cheese pizza lately, and this one will use up my leftover mushrooms and arugula (Simran LOVES the arugula & stracchino pizzas from Whole Foods' freezer section, so I'm hopeful she'll eat this).  The cinnamon squash chowder is what I've decided to call Luxurious 7-Vegetable & "Cheese" soup now that I've tasted it.  It tastes like neither cheese nor vegetables, and I found the inclusion of cinnamon pretty essential to the flavor.  It's very mild and rather sweet, and it's fantastically healthy considering it even has broccoli hidden in it.  I will embrace any dish that sneaks more leafy greens into Simran's tummy.

Grilled Enchiladas and Spanish Rice and Garlic Sauteed Spinach

Smoky Butternut Squash Sauce with Pasta and Greens and Crispy Breaded Tofu Strips
This is a new-to-me recipe that I hope resembles winter squash mac 'n cheeze closely enough that Simran will eat it.  I plan to make it with kale and macaroni noodles I already have on hand, as well as whatever squash or pumpkin might need to be used up.




No comments:

Post a Comment