Monday, June 1, 2020

Flatbread Pizzas from leftover naan

Simran and I made personal flatbread pizzas from last night's leftover naan.  They turned out well.  Sim said it tasted almost like normal pizza but slightly Indian because it was naan.  I was proud of the naan because I've gotten it down to 25% white flour (50% whole wheat, 25% spelt) as of yesterday.  Sameer and Sim couldn't tell the difference from the half whole wheat / half white version I made last time.

For Sim's pizza, she just put pizza sauce, mozzarella, black olives, and veggie pepperoni on hers and we put it in the toaster oven until melty (350 degrees for 4 minutes).

For mine (pictured), I sauteed some mushrooms with olive oil, shallots, roasted garlic (it was already roasted and in the fridge -- I'd just use fresh garlic otherwise), thyme, parsley, and salt and fresh ground pepper.  I added a fistful of arugula and let it wilt a bit in the pan after everything else had cooked.  More arugula would be good.  I added white truffle oil to the mushrooms but didn't think it added much.  I used shiitake and cremini mushrooms because those were the most interesting ones available at grocery store.  More flavorful mushrooms like trumpet mushrooms or pretty much any wild mushrooms would be preferable.  I didn't cook my pizza in the toaster oven, so I warmed the naan by sprinkling it with water and microwaving it for about 20 seconds before putting toppings on it.  The yellow sprinkles on top are nutty parm from The How Not to Die Cookbook.  The light green dip is green goddess dressing from the same cookbook.  Next time I'd use more garlic in the dressing.

I'd like to make Indian flatbread pizzas from naan sometime with a sort of makhani sauce in place of the pizza sauce, chopped green bell pepper and onion, a little Amul cheese (or not, to make it vegan), and some fresh cilantro on top.  I feel like there should be something else on it, but I don't know what. 

No comments:

Post a Comment