Friday, June 5, 2020

What I'm Going to Make from the First CSA Box of the Season

The first CSA box came from Nichols Farm today and it contained:  asparagus, strawberries, tomatoes, green garlic, garlic scapes, spring onions, cremini mushrooms, French radishes, arugula, sorrel, gold potatoes, pea shoot micro greens, and cucumbers.  Some of these vegetables are new to me, so I'm figuring out how to prepare them.

One of the best things I've ever eaten was a butter lettuce and seven herb salad with champagne vinaigrette at Aquaknox in Las Vegas.  I don't have butter lettuce at the moment, but I do have a bunch of odd herbs and greens, so I'm going to try making a salad of this nature for dinner tonight while everything is fresh.  It will include some of the sorrel, micro greens, and arugula, along with some chives, basil, and cilantro.  I'll try throwing a small amount of the greens from the radishes in there too since they look fairly young and soft and the internet says you can eat them in salads.  If they aren't great in the salad or seem too tough, I will combine them with the rest of the arugula and cook them like ravioli with arugula minus the cheese and ravioli (i.e., lightly wilt them in a shallot vinaigrette).  It's a nice green side dish Sameer and I can eat by the plateful.
 


For the asparagus, of which there is about twice what I'd normally buy from the store, I will just steam it all and make lemon-caper mayo for dipping.  Sim eats it steamed and plain.  This should be easy to use up over the course of a few days.

I'd never heard of garlic scapes before, but based on what I've read, I'm going to try making a garlic scape hummus.  I'm using the recipe for warm ramp hummus from the Vedge cookbook because the whole cookbook is vegan and reliably good, and it sounds like garlic scapes should have a flavor profile that will work nicely in place of the ramps.  Also it's a dip, so if something seems off, I can add things and fix it as I go.


There is a recipe for French breakfast radishes with nori, tamari, and avocado in Vedge that I've been wanting to try for awhile, so I'm going to make that as part of dinner tomorrow.  This will also use up some of the spring onion greens from the CSA box. 


Sameer says he wants to make some kind of potato au gratin from the potatoes.  I'll leave that to him.  The Vedge cookbook also has a recipe for pierogies I'd like to try.

As for the tomatoes (there are quite a few in the box) and the mushrooms, they aren't precisely what the recipe calls for, but I'd like to try a recipe from Vedge called heirloom tomatoes with grilled shiitakes and green goddess.  My tomatoes aren't heirloom and my mushrooms aren't shiitake, but I think it will still taste good.  If I get closer approximations of the recipe ingredients later in the summer, I'll try again.

Green garlic is new to me, so I'm just going to use it in place of mature garlic in recipes and see how it tastes.  I tend to like anything with a green, herby, or garlicky flavor.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the cucumbers as they are massive.  I can make them into some kind of salad though, or just eat them plain.  Simran will want to put slices of them on her eyes and have a "spa day" though that won't use much.  We could also make sandwiches of potato, tomato, cucumber, and coriander chutney like Sameer and I used to do.  If I can't finish off the tomatoes, I'll just dice them up and throw them in the freezer to make into soups or sauces later.  Most of the Indian dishes I like involve cooking tomatoes into a sauce.

I'm also considering making some kind of savory crepes and filling them with whatever spring vegetables I have left (especially asparagus, greens, and mushrooms) and a vegan sour cream-based dressing with fresh chives in it.  I made a recipe of this nature before that I found somewhere, but it was summertime vegetables and had ricotta cheese.

We're eating the strawberries plain.  We've already eaten half of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment