Thursday, August 21, 2014

Lazy Coconut Chutney

This could also be called "I'm not going to the Indian grocery store for this" Coconut Chutney.  I make it with stuff I can easily have on hand whenever I want to make it.  I can't tell the difference between this recipe and the better quality versions I've had, but that's just me.  Don't tell me it's not authentic for whatever reason -- there are tons of authentic recipes on the internet if you feel like going out to buy fresh curry leaves and a coconut right now.

Ingredients
1 cup dried shredded coconut (I keep finely shredded dried coconut on hand in my pantry.  I've also used grated dried coconut from the Indian store, but the finer grating allows the coconut to rehydrate faster and makes for a better texture.)
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp grated fresh ginger (no substitutions)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp vegetable oil
salt to taste (I use about 1/4 tsp)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I use non-fat Greek yogurt because it resembles fresh homemade dahi, which I rarely make.)
1/2 cup water

Directions

1. Stir up ginger, jalapeno, and dried coconut in a small bowl.

2. Stir in yogurt and add water until it's a nice thick-but-pourable sort of consistency.  Add salt to taste.

3. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.  Cover and cook until their popping sounds have slowed down. 

4. Stir oil and mustard seeds into the coconut mixture.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.  Longer is better -- the coconut needs time to soak up the water.  If it seems too dry when you're ready to serve it, just add more water to adjust consistency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment